Saturday, February 26, 2022

Far: Changing Tides Review - Call Of The Sea

New Game Today:

Reviewed on: PlayStation 5
Also on: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
Publisher: Frontier Foundry
Developer: Okomotive
Release:
Rating: Everyone

Every adventure is a journey of some sort, but we are often so consumed with the destination we sometimes forget to enjoy the ride. Far: Changing Tides pushes you to soak in the small moments that can be overlooked in our rush to reach the peak. Okomotive newest side-scrolling platformer is a meditative odyssey full of trials and triumphs. But this pilgrimage is so powerful I was often content to forget about my end goal.

Okomotive’s freshman release, Far: Lone Sails, followed in the footsteps of atmospheric puzzle platformers like Inside and Little Nightmares. While Lone Sails wasn’t nearly as dark or brooding as those other titles, it set a striking tone as the players navigated a giant land sled across a desolate post-apocalyptic landscape, all the while looking for a new home. Far: Changing Tides is – in many ways – more of the same, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Click here to watch embedded media

Instead of piloting a vehicle over land, Changing Tides puts you at the helm of an oversized boat. The mechanics of this ship are complex enough to be engaging without feeling overbearing. I enjoyed hoisting the sails and moving the mast to catch the wind or shoveling fuel into my engine to give my vehicle a nice push across the water. Along the way, you find ship upgrades, such as a chain to hoist up sunken treasure or an overcharger that grants short-lived but thrilling speed boosts. I couldn’t wait to uncover my next upgrade and see how it changed the way I navigated these freezing waters.

You encounter various roadblocks during this journey and are often forced to abandon your ship to solve environmental puzzles. These moments are rarely taxing, but I enjoyed stretching my legs to power up a rusted windmill, study the inner workings of a rotted locomotive, or dive for secrets on the ocean floor. Much like Lone Sails, Changing Tides doesn’t bother you with tooltips or gameplay explainers; instead, you learn about this world and how everything works through trial and error. Occasionally, I scratched my head at what looked like a dead-end, but after tinkering with the environment for a few minutes, I was always able to find what felt like a well-earned solution.

Click here to view embedded media

 

Between puzzle breaks, you experience long stretches where you watch the scenery zip by. These sequences reminded me of the best moments of a long car ride, where you soak in nature’s beauty. It helps that Far: Changing Tides is full of striking vistas and backed by a moody, often-wistful score.

Far: Changing Tides isn’t an action-packed roller coaster ride – it’s a contemplative journey that isn’t afraid to slow down and ask you to reflect on your expedition. Of course, this adventure is full of challenges to overcome. But whether I was watching the clouds glide over a flooded city with the wind at my back or white-knuckling through a storm as ten-foot waves bombarded my ship, I was always completely enrapt by the moment. It’s a journey I hope to take again someday.

Score: 8.25

About Game Informer's review system

Purchase


Hope to see you in Next Article Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment